Clinical Online Education
Respiratory Equipment Basics (Online Curriculum)
This interactive, narrated, self-paced online course focuses on respiratory equipment, techniques and therapies commonly used for medically complex patients with an emphasis on the home care environment. Topics include:
- Infection prevention
- Oxygen systems and safety
- Use of a resuscitation bag
- Pulse oximetry
- Nebulizer therapy
- Humidification systems
- Suction equipment, supplies, and technique
- Emergency preparedness for home-based care
An optional, in-classroom lab for hands-on time is available for participants to practice suction machine setup and proper suction technique, practice resuscitation bag use, assemble an airway humidification system, safely use and change an oxygen tank, and practice setup and use of in-home oximetry.
The optional lab takes place at Pediatric Home Service in Roseville, Minnesota. NOTE: This is not a skills competency. Each employer is responsible for ensuring their staff’s competence.
3.3 contact hours will be awarded to online class participants.
Criteria for successful completion to receive 3.3 contact hours:
- Completion of all course modules
- Achieving a passing score of 85% on post-test
- Completion and submission of evaluation form
There is no conflict of interest for anyone with the ability to control content of this activity
This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91) Activity Number 2022-0000000618. Expiration date 11/4/2024.
If you are not a nurse, you are responsible to ensure this course meets your clinical CE requirements.
Objectives: Upon completion of the presentation, the participant will be able to
- Describe infection prevention practices for respiratory equipment and supplies.
- Discuss oxygen delivery systems and how to safely use oxygen in the home.
- Demonstrate proper use of a resuscitation bag.
- Discuss proper use of and limitations of oximeters.
- Demonstrate how to deliver nebulized medication.
- Verbalize understanding of the purpose and use of respiratory humidification systems.
- Demonstrate proper suction techniques.
Course authors: Bruce Estrem, RRT-NPS, LRT; Bri Schimelpfenig, BS, RRT-NPS, LRT; Jean Stumpf, BSN, CRNI