Clinical Online Education
Enteral Basics (Online)
This interactive, narrated, self-paced online course focuses on the basics of providing care to adult and pediatric patients requiring enteral therapy, with emphasis on the home care environment.
- Types and parts of feeding tubes, accessories, and enteral nutrition products.
- Care and management of feeding tubes, including insertion and removal, placement verification, and ongoing maintenance.
- Types of formula.
- Enteral feeding routines, including bolus, intermittent, and continuous.
- Enteral feeding methods, including administration using syringe, gravity drip, and enteral food pump.
- Venting air from a feeding tube.
An optional in-classroom lab for hands-on time is available . NOTE: This is not a competency. Each employer is responsible for ensuring their staff’s competency.
- Three contact hours will be awarded to all participants
Objectives: Upon completion of the presentation the participant will be able to
- Demonstrate proper setup and use of feeding tubes, accessories, and enteral nutrition products.
- Demonstrate how to properly perform feeding tube management and care including administration of feedings, fluids, flushes, and medications.
- Demonstrate how to safely perform a routine nasogastric and low profile feeding tube change.
- Identify enteral nutrition feeding routines and delivery methods with associated safety concerns.