Clinical Online Education
Trach Tube Essentials (Online Curriculum)
This interactive, narrated, self-paced online course focuses on general tracheostomy tube concepts. In addition, extra information is added to prepare the participants for both routine and emergency tracheostomy care situations. The course is designed to provide practical information and tools for the hands-on care provider. Topics include
- Reasons for tracheostomy tubes.
- Types and sizes of tracheostomy tubes.
- How to properly utilize a cuffed tracheostomy tube.
- Application and care for double cannula tracheostomy tubes.
- Accessories for tracheostomy tubes, including a speaking valve.
- Care and cleaning of trach tubes, trach stomas and proper securing techniques.
- Routine trach tube change procedure.
- How to perform an emergency trach tube change.
An optional in-classroom lab for hands-on time is available to practice both routine and emergency trach tube changes, routine trach stoma care and trach securing techniques.
The optional lab takes place at Pediatric Home Service in Roseville, Minnesota. NOTE: This is not a skills competency. Each employer is responsible for ensuring their staff’s competence.
2.8 contact hours will be awarded to online class participants.
Criteria for successful completion to receive 2.8 contact hours:
- Completion of all course modules
- Achieving a passing score of 85% on post-test
- Completion and submission of evaluation form
There is no conflict of interest for anyone with the ability to control content of this activity.
This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91). Activity Number 2022-0000000606. Expiration date 8/30/2024.
This program has been approved for 2.8 contact hours Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care, 9425 N. MacArthur Blvd, Suite 100, Irving TX 75063. Activity Number: 188662000. Expiration date: 1/17/2024.
Objectives: Upon completion of the presentation the participant will be able to
- Identify the basic parts and types of tracheostomy tubes.
- Demonstrate how to properly perform routine tracheostomy tube cares.
- Demonstrate how to safely perform a routine tracheostomy tube change.
- Identify various tracheostomy tube accessories and related safety concerns.
- Demonstrate proper response to emergency situations involving a tracheostomy tube, including an emergency tube change.
Course authors: Bruce Estrem, RRT-NPS, LRT, Bri Schimelfenig, BS, RRT-NPS, LRT, Jean Stumpf, BSN, CRNI