Clinical Online Education
Airway Clearance (Online)
This interactive, narrated, self-paced online course focuses on airway clearance equipment, techniques, and therapies commonly used for patients who need assistance mobilizing respiratory secretions. There is an emphasis on the home care environment. Topics include:
- Physiology of mucus
- Deep breathing and coughing
- Postural drainage
- Chest percussion and vibration
- Positive expiratory pressure and airway oscillating therapy
- High frequency chest wall oscillation therapy, also known as vest therapy
- Mechanical in-exsufflation, also known as cough assist therapy
- Intrapulmonary percussive ventilation therapy
1.0 contact hour will be awarded to online class participants.
This course meets the CE requirements for nurses in the state of Minnesota. We are currently working to get this course approved nationally. If you don't live in Minnesota, or are not a nurse, you are responsible to ensure this course meets your requirements.
Objectives: At the completion of this training program, the participant will be able to
- Discuss the physiology of normal mucus and the ways in which it is normally moved out of the lungs.
- Verbalize common indications for airway clearance therapy.
- Describe the steps of an effective cough.
- Demonstrate positioning for a patient receiving postural drainage of specific lung segments.
- Demonstrate performing percussion to a patient’s chest.
- Describe how Positive Expiratory Pressure and Airway Oscillatory devices work and the type of patients for which they are helpful.
- Verbalize the procedure for performing High Frequency Chest Wall Oscillation, Mechanical In-Exsufflation, and Intrapulmonary Percussive Ventilation therapy.
- Describe the potential hazards of mechanical airway clearance therapies.
Course authors: Mary Wightman, RRT-NPS, LRT and Jean Stumpf, BSN, CRNI
The information in the course is Copyright © Pediatric Home Service. Any use outside your own personal use is prohibited.
For best learner experience, we recommend viewing this course on any desktop or laptop computer, or iPad.