Ventilation Basics (Online)
This interactive, narrated, self-paced online course focuses on the basic skills needed to care for invasive and noninvasive ventilator patients. There is an emphasis on the home care environment. Topics include:
- Patient Interfaces
- Ventilator Circuits
- Ventilator Settings
- Ventilator Modes
- Measured Values
- Ventilator Alarms
- Safety Procedures and Emergency Backup Options
An optional, in-classroom lab for hands-on time is available at Pediatric Home Service in Roseville, MN. You must enroll in the lab if you want to attend.
2.5 contact hours will be awarded to online class participants.
Criteria for successful completion to receive 2.5 contact hours
- Completion of all course modules
- Achieving a passing score of 85% on post-test
- Completion and submission of evaluation form
No individual with the ability to control the content of this activity has any relevant financial relationship with ineligible companies to disclose.
This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by the Montana Nurses Association, an accredited approver with distinction by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. Activity number 2022-0000000765, expires 01/07/2025.
Objectives: Upon completion of the presentation, the participant will be able to
- Explain the differences between invasive and noninvasive patient interfaces.
- Demonstrate an understanding of ventilator circuits, including tubing options, exhalation ports and valves, and other adapters.
- Verbalize an understanding of and discuss ventilator modes and settings.
- Describe the differences between pressure and volume ventilation and identify patients who may benefit from each.
- Discuss the differences between ventilator settings and patient values.
- Verbalize what measured patient values indicate and discuss what an increase or decrease in values might mean.
- Describe ventilator alarms and how to respond to them.
- Discuss safety procedures and emergency ventilation options.
Course authors: John Sheahan, RRT-NPS, LRT; Bri Schimelpfenig, BS, RRT-NPS, LRT; Jean Stumpf, BSN, CRNI
For best learner experience, we recommend viewing this course on any desktop or laptop computer. The course may not display well when taken with an iPad, some mobile phones, or an Android tablet.
If you are experiencing technical difficulty or have questions about your online course, please email PHSUniversity@pediatrichomeservice.com. We will respond to your email within one business day. Regular business hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central/Standard time.