Respiratory Equipment Basics for Respiratory Therapists (Online)
This interactive, narrated, self-paced online course focuses on respiratory equipment, techniques and therapies commonly used for medically complex patients with an emphasis on the home care environment. Topics include:
- Infection prevention
- Oxygen systems and safety
- Use of a resuscitation bag
- Pulse oximetry
- Nebulizer therapy
- Humidification systems
- Suction equipment, supplies, and technique
- Emergency preparedness for home-based care
An optional, in-classroom lab for hands-on time is available at Pediatric Home Service in Roseville, MN. You must enroll in the lab if you want to attend.
3 contact hours will be awarded to online class participants.
Criteria for successful completion to receive 3 contact hours:
- Completion of all course modules
- Achieving a passing score of 85% on post-test
- Completion and submission of evaluation form
There is no conflict of interest for anyone with the ability to control content of this activity
This program has been approved for 3 contact hours Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care, 9425 N. MacArthur Blvd, Suite 100, Irving TX 75063. Activity Number: 85032000. Expiration date: 5/10/2023.
Objectives: Upon completion of the presentation, the participant will be able to
- Describe infection prevention practices for respiratory equipment and supplies.
- Discuss oxygen delivery systems and how to safely use oxygen in the home.
- Demonstrate proper use of a resuscitation bag.
- Discuss proper use of and limitations of oximeters.
- Demonstrate how to deliver nebulized medication.
- Verbalize understanding of the purpose and use of respiratory humidification systems.
- Demonstrate proper suction techniques.
Course authors: Bruce Estrem, RRT-NPS, LRT; Bri Schimelpfenig, BS, RRT-NPS, LRT; Jean Stumpf, BSN, CRNI
For best learner experience, we recommend viewing this course on any desktop or laptop computer. The course may not display well when taken with an iPad, some mobile phones, or an Android tablet.
If you are experiencing technical difficulty or have questions about your online course, please email PHSUniversity@pediatrichomeservice.com. We will respond to your email within one business day. Regular business hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central/Standard time.