Dreams of Building a Kid-Focused Hospice Home in MN are Coming Closer with Crescent Cove
“It all started as a dream of offering child and family-focused respite and end-of-life care to children with life-limiting conditions in Minnesota”
~Katie Lindenfelser, founder of Crescent Cove
Did you know…
- It can be difficult for families with children who have life-limiting conditions to find support, causing unnecessary pain and suffering on the family.
- There are currently over 40 children’s hospice homes offering palliative care in the United Kingdom, several in Canada, two in Australia and many others around the world.
- In metro areas around the United States, there are over 4,700 hospice homes for adults, but only a handful that are being built and designed just for children and their unique needs.
- There are over 2,200 children living with life-limiting conditions in Minnesota.
- 230 children die each year in Minnesota, and at least half of those children could potentially benefit from a children’s hospice home.
Crescent Cove has a goal to build and open the doors to a child-focused hospice home that provides palliative and end-of-life care to children. This new home will offer a host of therapies including, but not limited to pain and symptom management, massage, music and art therapy. The home will provide on-site accommodations so they family will remain close to one another and still be able to receive the respite and support they need.
Pediatric Home Service’s giving program Sharing Care, is proud to partner with CLM by sponsoring their first fundraising event, Children’s Music Festival. On Sunday, September 26th from 1-4pm Crescent Cove will celebrate the progress they have made thus far and work to keep the momentum going to open doors to one of the only child-focused hospice homes in Minnesota. The event will include live music and entertainment, face painting, chair massages, and reflexology for attendee’s. It’s sure to be a fun event for children and adults of all ages. Tickets and information is available at their website.
Would Crescent Cove future hospice and respite care home be of help to your family? We’d love to hear from you. Share your story.Originally published: September 10, 2010