Know the Nurses: Kate Joseph
Today we’re kicking off Know the Nurses with one of our private duty nurses, Kate Joseph, RN, BSN, who has been with PHS since August 2012. We already know these nurses provide comprehensive, round-the-clock care for patients in their homes every day, but here are a few fun facts about Kate you might not know.
- I went to the University of Kansas for three years but received my RN, BSN from Avila University in Kansas City, MO. Although I did not graduate from KU, I will always be a Jayhawk through and through!
- I have a dog named Benny. He is a Maltese mix who I have had for six years. I soon plan on getting another puppy, but am waiting for the right time.
- I love to travel – I would honestly go anywhere. Just pick a spot on any map and I am there!
- In the summer time (or when the weather permits), you will find me boating on the lake.
- I have a HUGE fear of heights, but while I was in Mexico recently I was given the opportunity to face my fear head on and went para sailing! It was one of the coolest things I have ever done, and I was proud of myself for not letting my fear get in the way of such an amazing experience.
- My New Year’s Resolution was to say “yes” more to things that I would not typically do.
- I am obsessed with reality TV – it was made for people like me, I just eat it up.
- I am afraid of needles, which probably sounds crazy since I am a nurse. I get queasy at the sight of them when they are pointed in my direction – I have been known to make a scene when getting a shot or an IV. I think that my fear of needles helps me be a more sympathetic nurse with my kiddos at work.
- I have an addiction to Diet Coke; you will almost always see me with one in my hand or nearby.
- A fellow private duty nurse and friend was the one who told me about PHS, and I am so thankful that she did.
- I think that laughter is truly some of the best medicine out there.
- I believe that the best reward for my job is getting a hug from one of my patients. It just lets me know that it is all worth it at the end of the day.
- My favorite quote is by Dr. Seuss in the Lorax – “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
We love learning more about private duty nurses and hearing their stories. Do you know a PHS nurse who you’d like to see highlighted?
If you’re interested in starting your career with PHS, click here.Originally published: March 15, 2013