Know the Nurses: Ida Lewis
If you have a home care nurse in your home, you already know what an important part of your life they become. Today in Know the Nurses, we’re introducing you to one of our home care nurse trainers, Ida Lewis, RN, who has been with PHS since September 2012. Want to learn more about the home care nursing department and how we train new hires? Check out this post.
We already know these nurses provide comprehensive, round-the-clock care for patients in their homes every day, but here are a few fun facts about Ida you might not know.
- I went to nursing school at Normandale Community College and graduated in 2012
- Working as a home care nurse at PHS was my first nursing job out of school and I have been here over 2 years. It’s one of the best places to work!
- One of the most eventful and fun times I’ve had with a patient was going on a road trip out of state so that my patient could attend a family reunion.
- Another fun event was working with a kiddo to take his first plane ride to the “North Pole” to see Santa for a Make-a-Wish event (the picture to the right is from that event). Although we just took a trip around the airport, he didn’t know that.
- One of my favorite aspects of working in home care is helping kids get out into the community from going to a movie, school, family holiday events, or even a walk around the block.
- I consider my first “career” to be a competitive figure skater from elementary school through college. I spent over 30 hours a week practicing and teaching.
- My next career was that of a Textile Designer in the fashion industry of New York City.
- I decided to become a nurse because I wanted to make a more meaningful and positive impact on people’s lives.
- I also considered becoming a personal trainer as well with my athletic background but decided that I probably wouldn’t be happy about working most of my hours in a gym.
- I like to make the kiddos I work with laugh by making fart noises. It works every time!
- I think that like most people in nursing, I am also making a career out of being a student as I am back in school AGAIN to get my Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. I will probably continue on from there.
- I love to road trip. My longest trip was driving a U-haul from Brooklyn, NY to Lake Tahoe, CA with a friend. We almost ran out of gas in the salt-flats of Utah.
- My favorite food is sushi. I would eat it every day if I could.
- A hobby I have is gardening. I’m not good at growing flowers, so I stick to vegetables.
- I was very big into rock climbing but it only reinforced my fear of heights so I don’t do it as much these days.
- When I was in nursing school, I didn’t think I would work in pediatrics. After viewing the PHS website, I thought I might just give it a try. Now, I don’t think I could work with anybody but kids!
We love learning more about home care nurses and hearing their stories. Do you know a PHS nurse who you’d like to see highlighted? Leave his or her name here or on our Facebook page and we’ll take it from there! If you’re interested in starting your career with PHS, click here.Originally published: January 13, 2015