Know the Nurses: Brittany Leonhardt
If you have a home care nurse in your home, you already know what an important part of your life they become. Today in Know the Nurses, we’re introducing you to home care nurse Brittany Leonhardt, RN, BSN, PHN, LSN, who has been with PHS since March 2015. We’re currently hiring nurses who are interested in finding a meaningful and highly skilled career – check out our openings here.
We already know these nurses provide comprehensive, round-the-clock care for patients in their homes every day, but here are a few fun facts about Brittany you might not know.
- I went to nursing school at Bemidji State University where I also played hockey and softball
- I lived in the San Francisco bay area for 2 years with my husband after graduating college. It was absolutely beautiful, and we lived a block from the ocean.
- I love to travel. My favorite vacation was a 2 week trip to Australia – I got to scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef!
- I originally did not picture working in home care but after learning about PHS, I was very quickly convinced that it would be a wonderful fit for me! I love being able to build meaningful relationships with my patients and their families, and feel that I am able to make a true impact in my patients’ lives.
- My husband and I are always up for new adventures and love spending time outdoors. We are very excited for the warm weather to get here so we can spend the summer on our boat!
- I have a cat named Lena that my husband and I got while living in California. She is very active just like us!
- My husband and I close on the house in a couple weeks so we are having a lot of fun buying furniture and we are very excited 🙂
- I once bought a pet hamster on a whim while shopping with my friends (I was much older than I would like to admit)…word to the wise, think the decision through before jumping the gun, and make sure you and your friend don’t get one boy and one girl on accident and you become a hamster grandparent 😉
- I LOVE to ice fish but HATE open water fishing. I would much rather ski, tube or swim than fish in the summer!
- I believe that one of the reasons I love working in pediatrics is because I am a kid at heart myself. I can frequently be found having dance parties, nerf gun fights, and singing competitions with my husband.
- While living in California we had a lot of visitors and I became a pretty good (unofficial) tour guide. I have been to Alcatraz 5 times and the Muir Woods, and San Francisco piers more times than I can count!
- On our honeymoon my husband and I swam with dolphins in Jamaica and it was one of the coolest things I have ever done, I loved it!!
- I learned to love red wine while living in California and got to visit some amazing vineyards in Napa Valley.
- My husband and I have known each other since we were 5 years old! We went to school together from elementary school all the way to college. We did not start to date until our freshman year of college but it is funny to look back on pictures from elementary school together.
- While in Australia, a kangaroo jumped into the side of our car while we were driving down the highway. It did more damage to the car than the kangaroo – the kangaroo kept on hopping along like nothing happened. Additionally, I saw a different kangaroo face plant into the curb of a sidewalk, I am not convinced that they are graceful animals.